One Pan Chicken with Rice and Peas
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 kg large chicken pieces, skin removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 plump garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large red capsicum, seeded, cut into pieces
- 1 ½ cups Clever low GI white rice
- 4 large Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 ½ cups reduced salt chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2/3 cup pitted black olives
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 1 lemon
- Heat the oil in a large straight-sided deep pan over medium- high heat. Lightly season chicken pieces to taste and then add to the pan.
- Cook for about 8 minutes, turning until golden. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan with garlic and capsicum and gently cook until softened. Stir in the rice, tomato and stock.
- Arrange chicken pieces in the rice mixture and bring to a lively simmer. Cover and reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook about 25 minutes or until the rice is al dente and chicken cooked.
- Sprinkle olives and peas over and remove the pan from the heat and rest for about 10 minutes or until the peas are heated through.
- Sprinkle mint over and serve with wedges of lemon.
2935 kJ/700 calories; 56g protein; 28g fat (includes 6g saturated fat; saturated : unsaturated fat ratio 0.3); 52g Carbohydrate (includes 9g sugars and 43g starches); 7g fibre; 466mg sodium; 1266mg potassium; sodium : potassium ratio 0.4; GI estimate Low