Low GI Cottage Pie
20 minutes minutes
1 hour hour
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100 g lean middle bacon chopped
- 1 brown onion finely diced
- 1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic large cloves, crushed
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1 tbsp tomato paste no added salt
- 1 cup red wine 250ml
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme finely chopped
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 250 ml beef stock reduced salt
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 kg Carisma potatoes peeled and halved
- ⅓ cup reduced fat milk
- ½ cup reduced fat tasty cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick casserole dish. Add bacon and cook until golden and crispy.
- Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and cook for a few minutes until soft.
- Add beef mince, breaking up with a spoon and cook for several minutes until browned.
- Add tomato paste, red wine, thyme, black pepper and peas. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for several minutes until the liquid has slightly reduced.
- Add the flour, beef stock and bay leaf. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until liquid thickens slightly. Turn off heat and set aside, covered.
- For the potatoes – boil in a large saucepan until soft. Drain and return to the sauce pan. Add milk and mash until smooth and lump free.
- In an oven-proof baking dish, add meat mixture and spread evenly. Top with mashed potato and spread evenly over the meat mixture. Top with grated cheese.
- Place in a pre-heated oven and cook for approximately 30 minutes or until the top is a golden colour.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.