Carisma Potato Gnocchi with Red Wine Sauce
- 4 large Carisma potatoes, whole, skins on
- 180 g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot grated
- 4 tbsp tomato paste (140g)
- ¼ cup Red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 400 g cherry tomatoes canned
- chilli flakes optional
- Parmesan cheese,
- fresh basil
- Add the Carisma potatoes whole to cold water and bring to the boil. Cook for 20-30 minutes until tender (time may vary depending on the size).
- In a large saucepan, add 2 tsp of olive oil and add the onion and cook for 4 minutes until onions have softened. Add the carrot, and garlic and cook on low heat for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add tomato paste and red wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add the bay leaves, tinned tomatoes, chilli (if using), salt and pepper. Rinse out the tomato tin with water and add water from the can to the sauce. Bring everything to the boil and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Season to taste if needed.
- When the potatoes are cooked, allow to cool before peeling the skins. Mash the potatoes with the salt until smooth.
- Once the potato is smooth, add 180g of flour and gently form it into a dough. You may need a touch more but try not to add too much otherwise your dough will become tough. Lightly kneed it until it comes together but avoid overworking the dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll into a sausage like shape on a floured surface to prevent dough from sticking. Cut into 2-3cm pieces.
- Drop the gnocchi into boiling water (no salt) and cook for 2-3 minutes. The gnocchi are ready when they float to the surface. Remove them immediately and add to the sauce. Finish with parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.