Lamb Shanks with Barley, Garden Peas and Mint
Add a touch of spring to the day with braised lamb shanks in a soupy, risotto-like combo of barley, garden peas and refreshing fresh mint. Lamb and pearl barley are a natural pairing. This is a one-pot meal that you can prepare quickly and then leave to gently cook. Pearl barley is a gentle way to bolster the sustenance of a slow-cooked meat dish and is an excellent alternative to potatoes, rice or pasta.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large lamb shanks
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- about 4 cups (1 litre/35 fl oz) chicken stock
- 1½ cups (300 g/10½ oz) pearl barley
- 1½ cups (235 g/8½ oz) garden peas
- 1 handful mint leaves
- grated zest and juice of 1 large orange
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F (fan 160°C/315°F).
- Place a large casserole dish on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Pour in the oil and, when hot, add the shanks and brown all over, turning occasionally, for about 8 minutes. Push the shanks to the side of the dish slightly and reduce the heat.
- Add the onion and cook for about 8 minutes, or until golden. Pour in the stock, bring to a lively simmer, cover and place in the oven for about 1½ hours, or until the shanks are tender.
- Rinse the barley, drain and add it to the casserole dish, making sure it is covered in liquid. If not, add a little more stock. Cover and cook for about 25–30 minutes,
or until the barley is al dente, adding the peas in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Roughly chop half of the mint and stir it in with the orange zest and juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Using forks, pull the meat from the bone and serve with the barley and pea mixture, garnished with the remaining mint leaves.
Energy 990 kJ (235 Cal); protein 6 g; fat 13.5 g; saturated fat 2 g; carbohydrate 20 g; sugars 2 g; fibre 6 g; sodium 685 mg; potassium 395 g
Images and recipes from the Good Carbs Cookbook by Dr. Alan Barclay, Philippa Sandall, and Kate McGhie Murdoch Books, RRP $ 39.99 Photography by Alan Benson