Cashew Nut Cream
“Mild-tasting nuts like cashews, almonds and peanuts can be used to whip up a deliciously light and fluffy cream to serve alongside any dessert. Unlike dairy cream, which is high in saturated fat and will clog your arteries, this cream lowers high cholesterol and tones down the effect of carbohydrates on blood sugar levels.” Sue Radd
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 4 canned pear halves, drained
- ½ teaspoon alcohol-free pure vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Puree for several minutes until smooth and ivory in colour, scraping down sides of the bowl half way with a spatula.
- Transfer cream to a glass jar and refrigerate, ready for use when required. Recipe is unsuitable for freezing. Makes 1½ cups.
– Variation: Substitute ½ cup of apple juice for pears.
– If using peanuts, rub off their skins first, or blanch almonds
to remove their skin for a whiter colour.
Energy 674 kJ (161 Cal); protein 4 g; fat 12 g; saturated fat 2 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 8 g; sugars 5 g; fibre 3 g; calcium 10 mg; iron 1 mg; sodium 5 mg