Vegan Banana Bread
- 2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup coconut sugar or raw sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups coconut milk
- 2 banana mashed
- 1 tbsp pepita and sunflower seed mix
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Cavendish bananas sliced, to serve
Cashew date spread
- 8 medjool dates pitted
- 1 cup cashews, roasted
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line 6cm deep, 10cmx21cm (base) loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, sugar and coconut in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the oil, coconut milk and banana. Stir gently until combined. Spoon mixture into the loaf pan and smooth the surface.
- Combine the seed mix and sesame seeds and sprinkle over the banana bread, Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes then lift onto a wire rack.
- For the cashew date spread, place the dates in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand 5 minutes. Drain really well. Place into a food processor with cashews and maple syrup, processing well combined.
- Slice the banana bread, toast under the grill or in a frying pan. Serve with cashew date spread and sliced banana.
- Tip 1: Banana bread will keep 3-4 days in an airtight container at room temperature. Alternately slice and wrap in plastic and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Tip 2: Cashew date spread will keep 3 months in a clean jar in the fridge. Bring to room temperature to make it easy to spread.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.