Roast beef & winter vegies with currant gravy
1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 kg beef topside roast or rump roast
- ½ cup red wine
- 4 parsnip peeled, trimmed, halved lengthways
- olive oil spray
- 2 tbsp flour
- ⅓ cup cranberry sauce
- 6 carrot large, peeled into ribbons
- 8 zucchini medium, peeled into ribbons
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place a large flameproof casserole dish (with a lid) over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook for 10 minutes, turning, until browned on all sides. Add wine and ½ cup water. Cover with lid and place casserole dish in oven. Roast for 1½ hours, or until beef is tender.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place parsnips on prepared tray and spray with oil; roast for the final 25–30 minutes of beef cooking time, or until parsnips are golden and tender.
- Transfer cooked beef and parsnips to a chopping board, keeping juices in casserole dish. Cover beef and parsnips with foil to keep warm.
- Make gravy: Place casserole dish with juices over medium-high heat. Sprinkle flour into pan juices and stir continuously until combined, adding more water if needed. Add cranberry sauce and stir until well combined. Bring mixture to the boil; cook for 2–3 minutes, or until thick.
- Meanwhile, cook carrots and zucchini ribbons in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 1–2 minutes, or until just tender. Drain.
- Stir parsley through gravy. Transfer to gravy boat. Thinly slice roast beef and serve with ribboned vegetables, parsnips and gravy.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.