Mushrooms on Sourdough, Spanish Style
- ½ bulb garlic
- 2 slices bread fresh or even a few days old, toasted or grilled
- 1 tomato ripe, at room temperature
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- 200 g brown mushrooms halved (1x punnet)
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ lemon zested and juiced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 slices Jamón Serrano
- Rub the fresh garlic against the grilled sourdough.
- Halve the tomato and grate it on a box grater, discarding the skin onto a plate.
- Place the grated tomato onto a plate, then add a splash of olive oil and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the ‘tomato sauce’ onto the 2 slices of bread.
- On a griddle pan on high heat with a splash of olive oil, grill the mushrooms for 2 minutes each side till marked with grill lines. Then add butter, lemon zest, juice, and thyme and baste the mushrooms with a spoon.
- Top bread with thinly sliced Jamón Serrano and mushrooms.
- Enjoy as is or try it with fried eggs and haloumi. Choose good quality sourdough, like Brasserie Bread, to best compliment the mushrooms and absorb the delicious flavours.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.