Light Asian beef soup
- 500 g lean beef strips
- 120 g dried soba noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 litre Asian noodle soup base (8 cups), we used Beef Pho soup base in this recipe
- 1 red capsicum (pepper) thinly sliced
- 125 g fresh baby corn halved lengthways
- 150 g shitake mushrooms thinly sliced
- 150 g snow peas trimmed, halved diagonally
- 1 bunch Asian greens leaves separated
- 100 g bean sprouts trimmed
- 1 long red chilli thinly sliced, to serve
- spring onions thinly sliced, to serve
- fresh coriander (cilantro) to serve
- Prepare noodles according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook beef strips, in batches, for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Set aside on a plate loosely covered with foil.
- Meanwhile, place soup base into a large saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat before reducing heat to a simmer. Add capsicum, corn, mushrooms, snow peas and Asian greens and simmer for 2 minutes or until just tender.
- Divide noodles and cooked vegetables between bowls. Top with beef and ladle over hot broth. Serve topped with sprouts, chilli, green onions and coriander.
- The heat from the broth will reheat the beef.
- Serve with hoisin sauce for extra sweetness or hot chilli sauce for extra heat.
- Use your choice of noodles in the soup – egg, ramen, udon, rice or vermicelli noodles would all work well.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.