Fruity quinoa porridge
- 200 g quinoa (7 oz/1 cup)
- 500 ml skim milk (17 floz/2 cups)
- 1 apple chopped with skin on
- 40 g sultanas (1 1/2 oz/ 1/3 cup)
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp pure floral honey
- 125 ml reduced fat milk warm, (4 floz/ 1/2 cup), extra to serve
- Put the quinoa in a sieve and rinse well under cold running water. Tip the quinoa into a saucepan, then pour in the milk. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the apple, sultanas and cinnamon and simmer for 5–6 minutes, or until all of the liquid is absorbed. Remove the cinnamon stick, if using.
- Serve the quinoa porridge in small bowls. Drizzle the honey over the top and serve with the extra skim milk.
Energy per serve: 1220kJ Recipes and image from The Low GI Cookbook, Hachette Australia.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.
Nutritional information (per serve)
Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 13g | Sodium: 75mg | Fiber: 4g