Fresh kale, avocado and pomegranate salad
- 300 g kale stripped from their stem
- ¼ cup lemon juice about 1 juiced lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 avocado cut into small cubes
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Wash kale leaves thoroughly, in several changes of water. Press down firmly or use a salad spinner to remove excess water.
- Roll up leaves and shred very finely, then transfer to a large salad bowl.
- Add lemon juice, oil and salt, and massage well with a clean hand for a few minutes until kale softens. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes for flavour to develop.
- Prior to serving, fold in avocado and pomegranate seeds. Salad will keep in fridge for up to 2 days. Recipe is unsuitable for freezing.
- Clean organic kale carefully as it sometimes hides slugs, snails and aphids on the leaves. Submerge it in salted water for half an hour if required, then rinse several times.Shepard avocado is the only variety of avocado that doesn’t turn brown when cut. It has a smooth, green skin and buttery flesh.Variation: Swap cubed mango for pomegranate seeds.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.