Tom Walton's Coconut Dahl with Poached Eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 3 clove garlic roughly chopped
- 1½ cup dried red lentils
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 L vegetable stock
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 150 g baby spinach leaves
- 4 eggs free range
- fresh coriander (cilantro) large handful, roughly chopped
- low GI wraps to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and a good pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often for 2-3 minutes, then add the tomato paste, curry powder, lentils and stir them through, cooking for another 1 minute.
- Add the stock and cook, stirring often, for 20-25 minutes, until the lentils are creamy and softened.
- Stir through 2/3 of the coconut milk and baby spinach, cooking to just wilt. Adjust the seasoning to taste then crack the 4 eggs into the simmering dhal.
- Cover and cook on a low heat for 6-7 minutes to cook the eggs to your liking.
- Finish the dhal with the remaining coconut milk, coriander and serve with Low GI wraps if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Tom Walton
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.