Chorizo, rice and bean bowl
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 chorizo about 150 g/51⁄2 oz, diced
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 red capsicum seeded and diced
- 2 sweet corn cobs kernels removed
- 400 g red kidney beans 14 oz tin, drained and rinsed (see tips)
- 370 g SunRice Low GI Brown Rice 2 cups (see tips)
- 100 g kale 3 1/2 oz, centre veins removed, leaves chopped
- Lime wedges to serve
- natural yoghurt to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and chorizo and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the chorizo is golden. Add the paprika and cook, stirring, for one minute or until fragrant.
- Add the capsicum and corn kernels and cook, stirring, for two minutes or until almost tender. Add the beans and rice and cook for two minutes or until heated through. Add the kale and cook, stirring, until just wilted.
- Serve with a wedge of lime and a dollop of yoghurt.
- For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free chorizo.
- You can replace the tinned kidney beans with 255g (9 oz/11⁄2 cups) cooked kidney beans, and you can replace the kale with trimmed silverbeet (Swiss chard) or English spinach leaves.
- To make 370g (2 cups) cooked brown rice, start with 165g (5 3/4oz / 3/4cup) uncooked.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.