Chickpea curry with pumpkin and baby spinach
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Ground coriander
- 2 tsp Ground cumin
- 500 g Plain tomato pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Cooked chickpeas (garbanzos)
- 320 g Peeled pumpkin (butternut squash), chopped into small pieces
- Pinch salt, optional
- 120 g Baby spinach leaves
- 2 tsp Freshly chopped coriander (cilantro)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and sauté onion for about 5 minutes until soft. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Mix in chilli powder, coriander, cumin, tomato pasta sauce and ½ cup of water. Stir well.
- Add chickpeas and pumpkin pieces, and bring to boil. Adjust flavour with extra salt, if desired.
- Reduce heat and simmer for around 15 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
- Stir through baby spinach leaves until they start to wilt, followed by coriander, and serve immediately.
- One 400 g (14 oz) can of chickpeas supplies around 1½ cups when drained. If using this, rinse chickpeas well.If you find this curry a little hot, try some plain dairy or soy yoghurt on the side.
Nutritional information (per serve)