Chicken and pumpkin soup with quinoa
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek (pale section only), cleaned, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 4 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 500 g (1lb 2oz) chicken breast or tenderloin fillets, trimmed
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 400 g (14oz pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 1cm (½ in) pieces
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tbsp chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- Combine the onion, leek, carrots, celery, garlic, cumin and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the onion is tender.
- Add the remaining two cups water, the chicken stock and the chicken. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, very gently, for a further 2–5 minutes or until the chicken is just tender. Remove the chicken from the soup with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the quinoa to the soup. Bring back to a simmer over high heat then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the pumpkin and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until the pumpkin and quinoa are tender.
- Meanwhile, use two forks or your fingers to shred the chicken. Add the chicken to the soup and heat through. Taste, season with pepper and serve immediately sprinkled with the parsley.