Chicken and pumpkin soup with quinoa
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 1 leek (pale section only), cleaned, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 2 dutch carrots scrubbed, diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 ½ cups water
- 4 cups reduced salt chicken stock
- 500 g chicken breast or chicken tenderloin fillets (1lb 2oz) ,trimmed
- ¾ cup quinoa rinsed
- 400 g pumpkin (14oz), peeled, deseeded, cut into 1cm (½ in) pieces
- ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp flat leaf parsley chopped
- Combine the onion, leek, carrots, celery, garlic, cumin and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the onion is tender.
- Add the remaining two cups water, the chicken stock and the chicken. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, very gently, for a further 2–5 minutes or until the chicken is just tender. Remove the chicken from the soup with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the quinoa to the soup. Bring back to a simmer over high heat then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the pumpkin and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until the pumpkin and quinoa are tender.
- Meanwhile, use two forks or your fingers to shred the chicken. Add the chicken to the soup and heat through. Taste, season with pepper and serve immediately sprinkled with the parsley.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.