Beef bolognaise vegetable stack
- 500 g beef bolognaise sauce (see base recipe)
- olive oil spray
- 1 eggplant large, thinly sliced into ½ cm rounds
- 300 g butternut pumpkin thinly sliced into ½ cm moons
- 2 red capsicum (pepper) thickly sliced
- 60 g baby spinach leaves
- 60 g feta cheese crumbled
- fresh rocket leaves to serve
- cherry tomatoes quartered, to serve
- Preheat a large char-grill pan or barbecue over medium-high heat. Lightly spray both sides of eggplant, pumpkin and capsicum and char-grill vegetables, in batches,for 2-3 minutes each side or until tender and lightly charred. Set aside to keep warm.
- Meanwhile,place bolognaise in a medium saucepan and reheat over medium-low heat for 3-4minutes.
- On serving plates layer char-grilled vegetables, baby spinach and beef bolognaise to create a stack. Top with feta, season with ground pepper and serve with babyrocket and cherry tomatoes.
- Char-grill sweet potato, zucchini or mushrooms to mix up the vegetables in the stack.
- You could also layer the char-grilled vegetables and bolognaise in a baking dish topped with grated mozzarella or bechamel sauce for a more traditional lasagne style dish (minus the pasta). Bake in the oven at 180°C (160°fan-forced) for about 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Swap feta for ricotta, goats’ cheese, parmesan or pecorino; add some toasted pine nuts and basil to the top of the stack for extra flavour.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.