Beef and pearl barley salad with fresh chimichurri
- 100 g Beef topside roast, lean, roasted and sliced
- 60 g Pearl barley, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cup Spinach, shredded
- 1/4 Medium red onion, finely diced
- 100 g Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Juice and zest of ¼ lemon
- 1 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp White wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Chopped flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Chopped fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch red chilli flakes
- Bring a small pot of water to the boil, and cook the barley for 25 minutes, or until cooked through. Alternatively, you can place it in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with water, and then place cling film tightly over the bowl. Make a cut in the cling film to allow steam to escape, then microwave on a low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the barley is tender and has absorbed all the water.
- Rinse with cool running water in a sieve or colander, and drain.
- Combine the barley, salad greens, cherry tomatoes, lemon zest, juice, and onion in a bowl and toss to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the chimichurri ingredients—parsley, coriander, chilli flakes, garlic, oil, and vinegar—and stir well.
- Top the barley salad with beef slices, then spoon over the chimichurri to serve.