Beef and pearl barley salad with fresh chimichurri
- 100 g Beef topside roast, lean, roasted and sliced
- 60 g Pearl barley, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cup Spinach, shredded
- 1/4 Medium red onion, finely diced
- 100 g Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Juice and zest of ¼ lemon
- 1 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp White wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Chopped flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Chopped fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch red chilli flakes
- Bring a small pot of water to the boil, and cook the barley for 25 minutes, or until cooked through. Alternatively, you can place it in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with water, and then place cling film tightly over the bowl. Make a cut in the cling film to allow steam to escape, then microwave on a low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the barley is tender and has absorbed all the water.
- Rinse with cool running water in a sieve or colander, and drain.
- Combine the barley, salad greens, cherry tomatoes, lemon zest, juice, and onion in a bowl and toss to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the chimichurri ingredients—parsley, coriander, chilli flakes, garlic, oil, and vinegar—and stir well.
- Top the barley salad with beef slices, then spoon over the chimichurri to serve.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.