Baked Rice Bolognese Pie
- 1 medium (180g) brown onion, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 160 g button mushrooms
- 1 medium (180g) red capsicum, seeds removed
- 1 medium (100g) carrot, trimmed
- 2 stalks (190g) celery
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped, fresh parsley leaves and stalks
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped, fresh basil leaves and stalks
- 2 tablespoons (40ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1/3 cup tomato paste (85ml)
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 cups cooked (approx. 1 1/3 cups uncooked) SunRice Low GI Brown Rice
- 4 free range eggs
- 400 ml tomato passata
- 90 g parmesan, grated
- Sea salt and black pepper to serve
- Heat oven to 180C. If you have a food processor then simply blitz the brown onion, garlic, mushrooms, red capsicum, carrot, celery, parsley and basil until it is minced, this will save you on chopping time. If you don’t have a food processor, then finely chop all ingredients.
- Heat a large (30cm diameter round preferably) oven proof fry pan* on medium heat and add extra virgin olive oil to coat, followed by the veggie mince. Cover and cook 6-8 minutes to soften all the veggies. Add mince, and cook a further 5-6 minutes to brown the meat. Remove from heat, add tomato paste, dried oregano, cooked rice, season with sea salt and black pepper and toss.
- Whisk eggs in a separate bowl and stir through the bolognese, then use the back of your spoon to give the top of the pie an even surface. Spread tomato passata over the top of the pie and finish with grated parmesan. Bake in oven 30-40 minutes. Stand for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.