- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek (pale section only), cleaned, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 4 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 500 g (1lb 2oz) chicken breast or tenderloin fillets, trimmed
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 400 g (14oz pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 1cm (½ in) pieces
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tbsp chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
+SAVE RECIPE / SHOPPING LIST
VIEW SAVED RECIPES
PRINT, DOWNLOAD, SHARE
Combine the onion, leek, carrots, celery, garlic, cumin and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the onion is tender.
Add the remaining two cups water, the chicken stock and the chicken. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, very gently, for a further 2–5 minutes or until the chicken is just tender. Remove the chicken from the soup with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the quinoa to the soup. Bring back to a simmer over high heat then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the pumpkin and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until the pumpkin and quinoa are tender.
Meanwhile, use two forks or your fingers to shred the chicken. Add the chicken to the soup and heat through. Taste, season with pepper and serve immediately sprinkled with the parsley.
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 6.5g | Saturated Fat: 1.8g | Fiber: 4g