- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 medium Dutch carrots, unpeeled
- 200 g butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1 ½ cm sticks
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and cut into strips
- ½ brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups pearl couscous
- 2 1/2 cups vegetarian stock
- ½ cup shelled peas
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- A few sprigs of coriander leaves or parsley
- In a small bowl mix olive oil with chilli powder, cumin seeds, paprika and a little pepper.
- Place carrots, pumpkin and capsicum on a roasting tray lined with baking pepper and season with half the spicy oil. Roast vegetables in a hot oven at 180°C until carrots are soft (about 30 minutes).
- Place remaining spicy oil in a non-stick pan with chopped onion and cook, while stirring, for 3 minutes before adding pearl couscous. Stir well and add stock and peas. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Spoon pearl couscous on plates and top with roast vegetables. Sprinkle with nuts and seeds and garnish with herbs.