This family friendly recipe from Dr Joanna McMillan is best when you pop everything in the middle of the table so that everyone can make their own. It’s a wonderful way to get everyone around the table for a fun dinner.
Here they have used tofu in place of meat and if you have a vegan in the group they can simply omit the yoghurt. Corn tortillas should be gluten free, but do check the ingredients list of the packet in case some flour has been added. They should be made entirely from corn. Try Mission Foods Low GI White Corn tortillas.
Time: 20 mins
Gluten Free; Vegetarian & Nut free
½ tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp sweet paprika
pinch chilli flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
200 g red capsicum, diced
½ brown onion, diced
2 cups cos lettuce, shredded
1 tomato, diced
300 g firm tofu
4 tb Greek yoghurt
4 corn tortillas
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
60 g avocado, diced
½ tsp salt flakes
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Drain the tofu, slice and press gently between two pieces of paper towel to remove the excess moisture.
- Combine the cumin, oregano, paprika and chilli in a medium bowl. Crumble the tofu slices into the spice blend and stir to coat.
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and pop into the oven to warm.
- Heat half the extra virgin olive oil in a non-stick skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and capsicum and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the remaining oil and the spiced tofu. Cook for 3 minutes until heated through. Season to taste with a little salt and pepper.
- Divide the tofu mixture, lettuce, tomato and avocado across the tortillas. Top each with a dollop of yoghurt, serve with lime wedges and fresh coriander. Alternatively, pop everything in bowls in the middle of the table and each person makes up their own.
Per serve: Energy 453Cal/1895kJ, Protein 27g, Fat 25g (of which 4g saturated, 9g polyunsaturated, 10g monounsaturated), Carbohydrate 21g, Fibre 18g
This recipe and image have been reprinted with permission from Dr Joanna’s Get Lean program and her Get Lean, Stay Lean evidence-based lifestyle book that will give you all the tools you need to embrace great health and take control of your weight. For more visit drjoanna.com.au