Roasted Carrot and Spinach Pilaf with Fragrant Spices
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 12 Dutch carrots
- ¼ cup grape seed oil
- 3 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 small onions, finely sliced
- 2 cups Clever low GI white rice
- 2 cups hot reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 cups salad spinach leaves, loosely packed
- 60 g toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 200 C (fan 180C). Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Trim the carrots leaving a little of the fronds. Toss carrots in half of the oil with the garam masala added.
- Arrange carrots on the baking paper and roast for 15 minutes or until cooked. Slice lengthways.
- Meanwhile put the onion in a pot with the remaining oil and cook until golden. Stir in the rice, stock and water. Season to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and put a tight fitting lid on the pan. Cook over a low heat for 15 minutes or until all the stock has been absorbed.
- Lightly stir through the spinach leaves and carrots. Let stand for 5 minutes and then sprinkle over the almonds and serve.
1790 kJ/430 calories; 9g protein; 16g fat (includes 1.5g saturated fat; saturated : unsaturated fat ratio 0.1); 59g Carbohydrate (includes 4g sugars and 55g starches); 4.5g fibre; 361mg sodium; 347mg potassium; sodium : potassium ratio 1.0; GI estimate Low