This one tray wonder from Australian Healthy Food Guides’ 101 diabetes-friendly cookbook is great as an alternative to the Sunday Roast. It is high in protein and fibre, has three serves of veggies and freezes well.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced
2 medium GiLICIOUS potatoes, sliced
4 skinless chicken drumsticks
4 skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets
Zest and juice of 1 orange, plus
extra zest, to garnish
2 red onions, cut into wedges
1 cup roasted red capsicum
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 sprigs rosemary or thyme
1 garlic bulb, broken into cloves
50g gluten-free chorizo, diced
2 cups chopped silverbeet
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Spray a large ovenproof baking dish with olive oil. Cook potatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain
- Cut several slits in chicken pieces and toss with orange zest.
- Place potatoes, onions and capsicum in a large bowl. Mix orange juice with oil and vinegar in a small bowl; add to vegetables and toss to coat.
- Place vegetables in prepared baking dish and top with chicken. Break rosemary (or thyme) into small sprigs; place two-thirds into chicken slits. Add garlic and remaining rosemary to dish. Sprinkle chorizo over; toss well.
- Bake for 45 minutes, tossing halfway through. Stir through silverbeet in final 10 minutes of cooking time. Season with freshly cracked black pepper; garnish with extra zest and serve.
Cook’s tip: This meal freezes well.
Recipe: Sarah Swain Photography: Melanie Jenkins