Cumin Pears, Carrot, Tofu and Lentil Strudel
This strudel is packed with delicious low GI ingredients. Including pears which have a GI of 38. It is a great lunch idea or dinner when combined with a green salad.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
200g firm green pears, stem removed and cored
2 tablespoons Cumin seeds, dry roasted and cooled
150g carrots, peeled and grated
150g firm Tofu, diced into 1cm pieces
¾ cup pre-cooked canned lentils, drained
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
6 sheets Filo pastry
Spray of Rice Bran oil
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup plain low fat yoghurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven 180C or 160C fan force
- Cut the pear flesh into dices 1cm square pieces and put into bowl – grind the Cumin seeds in the mortar and pestle; sprinkle over the pears and toss to coat well.
- Combine the carrots, Tofu, lentils and orange zest – mix well.
- Lay one sheet of pastry on the bench – spray lightly with oil. Top with another sheet and repeat until the pastry is all used.
- Spoon the carrot mixture down one side of the assembled pastry layers – top with diced pears – sprinkle with ground black pepper; roll and pull in the ends to make a sealed package – lift onto a baking paper lined baking tray. Spray with a light coating of oil and bake until browned and crisp – around 45 minutes.
- Combine the yoghurt, mint and pepper – serve the sliced strudel hot with the yoghurt and green salad or steamed vegetables of your choice.
Energy 1343kJ, Protein 13.8g, Fat 12.4g, Saturated fat 4.1g, Total carbohydrate 34.5g, Sugar 16.8g, Fibre 7.7g, Sodium 260mg
GI estimation:34 (Low)
GL estimation: 12
Recipe and image kindly supplied by Horticulture Australia Limited. For more recipes go to www.rediscoverthepear.com.au