Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
100g beef topside roast, lean, roasted and sliced
60g (approx. 1/3 cup) pearl barley, uncooked
1 ½ cup spinach, shredded
¼ medium red onion, finely diced
100g cherry tomatoes, halved
juice and zest of ¼ lemon
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp chopped flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp chopped fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
pinch red chilli flakes
- Bring a small pot of water to the boil, and cook the barley for 25 minutes, or until cooked through. Alternatively, you can place it in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with water, and then place cling film tightly over the bowl. Make a cut in the cling film to allow steam to escape, then microwave on a low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the barley is tender and has absorbed all the water.
- Rinse with cool running water in a sieve or colander, and drain.
- Combine the barley, salad greens, cherry tomatoes, lemon zest, juice, and onion in a bowl and toss to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the chimichurri ingredients—parsley, coriander, chilli flakes, garlic, oil, and vinegar—and stir well.
- Top the barley salad with beef slices, then spoon over the chimichurri to serve.
This recipe is from the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet online program. The online program offers a 12-week Gut Health meal plan which includes delicious high protein, low GI recipes with a focus on fibre diversity. The plan gradually introduces higher fibre foods to your diet to assist with a healthy gut. How healthy is your gut? Find out with this free quiz.