Vegetarian Pearl Couscous with roasted vegetables
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- ground black pepper
- 8 carrot unpeeled
- 200 g butternut pumpkin peeled and cut into 1 ½ cm sticks
- 1 red capsicum (pepper) seeded and cut into strips
- ½ brown onion finely chopped
- 1 cup pearl couscous
- 2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup green peas fresh, shelled
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- fresh coriander (cilantro) or fresh parsley, to serve
- In a small bowl mix olive oil with chilli powder, cumin seeds, paprika and a little pepper.
- Place carrots, pumpkin and capsicum on a roasting tray lined with baking pepper and season with half the spicy oil. Roast vegetables in a hot oven at 180°C until carrots are soft (about 30 minutes).
- Place remaining spicy oil in a non-stick pan with chopped onion and cook, while stirring, for 3 minutes before adding pearl couscous. Stir well and add stock and peas. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Spoon pearl couscous on plates and top with roast vegetables. Sprinkle with nuts and seeds and garnish with herbs.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.