Tom Walton's Veggie Burgers
- 200 g sprouted legumes
- 1 zucchini grated
- 1 red (Spanish) onion finely diced
- 2 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smokey paprika
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
- 2 tsp salt flaked, less if using a granulated salt
- ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 low GI seeded burger buns or rolls split in half
- fresh sliced mozzarella, sliced tomato, avocado, mayonnaise to serve
- Place the first 9 ingredients into a blender, pulsing to create a smooth thick texture and seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Allow the mix to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes. This allows the mix to firm up and hold together better.
- Form the mix into desired size patties and place onto a plate.
- Preheat a large non-stick frying-pan over a medium/high heat, add the oil, cook the patties for approx. 3 minutes each side until golden and cooked in the middle. If making the burgers straight away, place the cheese over the patties just as they are finishing off in the pan so it melts over them slightly.
- Toast the burger buns and build the burgers with the lettuce, tomato, avocado and mayonnaise.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.