Thai Mushroom & Chicken Meatballs
- 400 g button, cup or flat mushrooms
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 3 spring onions roughly chopped
- 400 g lean chicken mince
- 2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil for cooking
- Iceberg lettuce leaves sweet chilli sauce & lime wedges, to serve
- Finely chop mushrooms by hand or alternatively, pulse in a food processor to finely chop.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes or until all moisture has evaporated. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Drain any excess moisture and transfer mushrooms to a bowl. Wipe pan clean.
- Clean and cut two roots from coriander. Place roots into a food processor, add green onions and 1 cup coriander leaves. Pulse until finely chopped. Add coriander mixture, mince, curry paste, egg and breadcrumbs to mushrooms Mix until well combined. Shape 1 tbs of mixture into balls with damp hands. Place onto a tray, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour if time permits (this helps hold meatballs together when cooking).
- Heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook meatballs, in batches, shaking pan often, for 8-10 minutes or until just cooked through. Serve with lettuce leaves, sweet chilli sauce and lime wedges.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.