Tangy lentil soup with silverbeet and zucchini
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil2 tab
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 500 g Brown lentils, picked over for stones and washed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-centimetre (½-inch) cubes
- 2 Medium zucchinis (courgettes), cut into 1-centimetre (½-inch) cubes
- 1 Bunch silverbeet (chard), trimmed, washed and shredded into 1-centimetre (½-inch) strips making up 600 g (about 21 oz)
- 2 Cloves garlic, crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper, optional
- 1 Bunch fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Warm oil in a large soup pot (at least 8 litres/2 gallons) capacity) and sauté onions until soft.
- Add lentils, salt and 8 cups of water, cover with lid and bring to boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add potato cubes and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini, silverbeet, garlic, pepper and 4 cups of extra boiling water, and cook for a further 5 minutes until the greens just start to soften.
- Stir in coriander and lemon juice, and ladle hot into soup bowls. Serve with wholemeal Lebanese bread, if desired.