Tangy lentil soup with silverbeet and zucchini
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil2 tab
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 500 g Brown lentils, picked over for stones and washed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-centimetre (½-inch) cubes
- 2 Medium zucchinis (courgettes), cut into 1-centimetre (½-inch) cubes
- 1 Bunch silverbeet (chard), trimmed, washed and shredded into 1-centimetre (½-inch) strips making up 600 g (about 21 oz)
- 2 Cloves garlic, crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper, optional
- 1 Bunch fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Warm oil in a large soup pot (at least 8 litres/2 gallons) capacity) and sauté onions until soft.
- Add lentils, salt and 8 cups of water, cover with lid and bring to boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add potato cubes and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini, silverbeet, garlic, pepper and 4 cups of extra boiling water, and cook for a further 5 minutes until the greens just start to soften.
- Stir in coriander and lemon juice, and ladle hot into soup bowls. Serve with wholemeal Lebanese bread, if desired.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.