- 450 g mixed dried fruit
- ¼ cup brandy
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 egg white
- 240 g mixed nuts roughly chopped
- 1 tsp orange rind finely grated
- 3 tsp ground mixed spice
- 2 cup wholemeal plain flour sifted
- ½ cup wholemeal self-raising flour sifted
- Place the mixed dried fruit in a bowl and pour over the combined brandy and orange juice. Cover and set aside overnight.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Lightly grease a 19cm non-stick heart shape tin or six small 9.5cm non-stick heart shape tins.
- Place the canola oil, egg white sand brown sugar in a large bowl and whisk for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the soaked fruit, nuts and orange rind and stir with a large spoon until fully combined.
- Gradually add the mixed spice,plain flour and self-raising flour and continue stirring until mixture is fully combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the large tin/or between the small tins, until ¾ full.
- Place the cake tin/tins on a baking tray lined with 6-8 sheets of newspaper*. Bake for 25 minutes (for small hearts) or 1 hour 10 minutes (for large heart).
- Remove from oven, stand for 5minutes then remove from tin and cool on a wire rack.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.