Sweet Potato and Lentil Patties (egg-free)
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 500 g sweet potato peeled, cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander (cilantro)
- 1/2 tbsp tumeric
- 60 g baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- natural yoghurt and lemon wedges to serve
- Preheat oven to 220C /200C fan-forced. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Place sweet potato on tray and drizzle with half of the oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes until tender. Mash in a bowl and set aside.
- Cook lentils in a pan of boiling water for 15-20 minutes until softened. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan on medium. Cook onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add spices and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add spinach, stirring until just wilted. Transfer to bowl with lentils and sweet potato. Mix well and season to taste. Chill until cold. Form into patties and toss in flour to coat. Place on a baking paper-lined tray.
- Heat oil in frying pan on medium-high. Cook patties for 2-3 minutes each side until golden. Drain on paper towel. Serve patties with yoghurt and lemon wedges.
- Tip: Brown lentils are also labelled as green lentils. They are larger than the French lentils.
- For gluten free option – replace plain flour for gluten-free flour.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.