Roasted carrot and spinach pilaf with fragrant spices
- 12 carrots
- ¼ cup grape seed oil
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 2 onions finely sliced
- 2 cups SunRice Low GI white rice
- 2 cups reduced salt vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 cups salad spinach leaves loosely packed
- 60 g flaked almonds roasted
- Preheat oven to 200 C (fan 180C). Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Trim the carrots leaving a little of the fronds. Toss carrots in half of the oil with the garam masala added.
- Arrange carrots on the baking paper and roast for 15 minutes or until cooked. Slice lengthways.
- Meanwhile put the onion in a pot with the remaining oil and cook until golden. Stir in the rice, stock and water. Season to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and put a tight fitting lid on the pan. Cook over a low heat for 15 minutes or until all the stock has been absorbed.
- Lightly stir through the spinach leaves and carrots. Let stand for 5 minutes and then sprinkle over the almonds and serve.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.