Pasta sauce with eggplant, red Capsicum and currants
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Medium red capsicum (bell pepper), chopped into small pieces
- 1 Medium eggplant (aubergine), sliced into chips
- 1/2 tbsp Ground cumin
- 2 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 500 g Tomato pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup Currants
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of hot paprika
- 12 Pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp Chopped coriander (cilantro)
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan and sauté capsicum until soft.
- Add eggplant chips and mix with capsicum. Cover pan and sauté on medium heat for about 10 minutes, until eggplant softens and starts turning golden brown. Stir occasionally, so eggplant doesn’t burn. It will release some juices.
- Add cumin and garlic, and fry for 1 minute. Mix in tomato pasta sauce, currants, salt, hot paprika and an extra ½ cup of water. Allow sauce to simmer, half-covered, for another 10 minutes, until flavours combine.
- Toss in olives and coriander, and serve sauce hot on top of cooked wholegrain pasta. Both spirali and penne work well.
- Use a mandoline to slice the eggplant with the blade designed for cutting chips/French fries.