Onion and Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and grated
- 1 brown onion peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 pinch smoked paprika or pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to season
- caramelised onion or chives
- steamed baby spinach
- Place the grated sweet potato in a large colander and give it a good soak to get the starch out of it.
- Drain out any excess moisture using a cloth so the sweet potato is very dry. Too much water in the mixture will make the hash browns soggy.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the onion, flour, salt and pepper and paprika. Mix well and add more flour if required.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Scoop heaped tablespoons of the mixture in the pan and gently flatten with a spatula.
- Cook the hash browns until golden and crispy, about 4-5 minutes on each side. Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
- Serve hash browns with extra caramelised onions, chopped chives and steamed baby spinach.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.