Naked Bean Burgers with avocado
- 280 g black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 tsp tomato paste, no added salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 20 g avocado, mashed (approx.1 tbsp)
- 3 iceberg lettuce leaves
- squeeze lemon juice
- black pepper, to taste (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Combine the beans, onion, garlic, tomato paste,cumin, paprika, and parsley in a food processor and process until the mix sticks together so you can form burgers, but there are still some chunks. If it’s not blending easily, add the tiniest splash of water, being careful not to use too much or your burgers won’t hold together.
- Use clean, slightly damp hands to shape the mix into three burger patties, and lay on a baking tray lined with paper. Cook for thirty minutes, then carefully flip them (they are quite fragile because we haven’t used a binding agent like flour) and cook for another 15-20 minutes until cooked through. Leave them to sit for five minutes prior to serving, to help them firm up a bit.
- Meanwhile, combine the avocado with the lemon juice in a bowl, and add the black pepper if you’re using it. Stir together with a fork.
- Serve each burger in a lettuce cup with a little of the mashed avocado for a bunless burger.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.