Mexican beef mince and low GI rice
- 500 g beef bolognaise sauce (see base recipe)
- 2 tbsp salt-reduced taco seasoning
- 400 g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups cooked Low GI rice
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large avocado, thinly sliced
- Coriander leaves, lime wedges, to serve
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add beef bolognaise, taco seasoning and chickpeas. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until heated through.
- Divide rice between plates and top with beef bolognaise, tomatoes and avocado. Garnish with coriander and lime wedges, to serve.
- Any beef steak cut into strips would also work well in this recipe – simply spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil, heat over medium-high heat, sprinkle beef with taco seasoning and stir for 2-3 minutes until beef is cooked to your liking.
- Leftover cooked beef mince can be used in tacos, popped onto low GI bread with salad or in a healthy low GI wrap to make a burrito.
- Try swapping chickpeas for lentils, black or red kidney beans or corn; swap rice for shredded cabbage; mash the avocado with a little diced red onion and chopped coriander for a guacamole; serve with natural yoghurt or a dollop of sour cream.