Marika Day’s Sweet Potato and Lentil Stew
- 500 g sweet potato (approximately 1 medium sweet potato), diced into 1cm cubes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion diced
- 2 garlic
- 400 g canned brown lentils drained and rinsed (one tin)
- 400 g diced tomatoes (one tin)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ground smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- dried chilli flakes (optional)
- fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- brown rice to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add cubed sweet potatoes and drizzle with 1/2 the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and place into the oven to cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pan over medium heat with the remaining olive oil.
- Add onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add spices, tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, and lentils to the pan.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove sweet potato from the oven and add to the stew.
- Serve stew with brown rice. Top with chopped parsley and chilli flakes.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.