Low GI Mexican Baked Mushroom, Capsicum & Kidney Bean Rice
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red (Spanish) onion diced
- 1 red capsicum (pepper) sliced
- 1 green capsicum (pepper) sliced
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Mexican spice mix
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups SunRice Low GI White Rice or Basmati rice
- 600 ml vegetable stock reduced salt
- 5 mushrooms large
- 2 tomato diced
- 400 g kidney beans drained, rinsed
- 1 fresh coriander (cilantro) handful, chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 avocado cut into wedges
- natural yoghurt to serve
- Preheat an oven to 210C.
- Place a large shallow French oven pan or frying pan (that can goin the oven) over a medium/high heat and add 3 tbsp of the olive oil, onion,capsicums, garlic, and a good pinch of salt.
- Cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes then add spice mix, tomato paste and rice and stir everything through, cooking for 1 more minute.
- Add stock, bring to a simmer stirring so everything is evenly mixed then nestle in the mushrooms, cup side up, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil over the mushrooms.
- Cover with a lid and cook in the preheated oven for approx. 25- 30 minutes.
- Combine the tomato and kidney beans with a little of the chopped coriander, season to taste and a squeeze of lime.
- When the rice and mushrooms are cooked, let the pan sit for 5 minutes to rest then remove the lid and to serve, scatter the kidney bean mix and avocado over the rice and serve with the yoghurt.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.