Lentil Napoletana pasta twists
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 garlic crushed
- 100 g mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 celery thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste, no added salt
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 800 g no added salt diced tomatoes (2 x 400g cans)
- 2 1/2 cups reduced salt vegetable stock
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 2 zucchini chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley Chopped
- 500 g high fibre pasta twists
- 2/3 cup reduced fat tasty cheese to serve (optional)
- Heat oil in a large deep saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Stir over heat for 2 minutes, until softened slightly.
- Add mushrooms, carrot and celery. Stir over heat a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and lentils. Cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, stock and Italian herbs. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in zucchini, Simmer, covered a further 5-10 minutes or until zucchini is tender and sauce has thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pan of boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to same pan. Add lentil sauce. Stir over low heat until combined.
- Serve topped with grated cheese. Garnish with extra chopped parsley (optional).
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.