Lemon & Ginger Steamed Fish with Turmeric Rice
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin olive oil
- 4 skinless barramundi fillets, (approx 150g ea), or a white fish of your choice
- 1/4 bunch coriander leaves
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups cups low Gi brown rice, washed and drained
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, diced
- 400 g unsweetened light coconut milk
- 2 cups reduced salt vegetable stock or coconut water
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 lime
- 1/2 bunch coriander, chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- Combine the ginger, garlic, lemon zest, salt and olive oil in a small bowl. Blot the fish dry with a paper towel and coat well with the ginger mixture. Place the fish fillets on a heatproof plate or a shallow dish for steaming, and set aside.
- To make the turmeric rice, heat oil in a large pot on medium high, cook onion and garlic for about 3 minutes until softened. Stir in turmeric, thyme, bay leaf and carrots and cook for a minute.
- Add the rice and stir until rice is fully coated with the yellow onion mixture. Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, cayenne pepper, and salt. Bring the rice mixture to a boil, cover and simmer on low for 50 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat and keep covered for about 10 minutes. Fluff the turmeric rice with a fork, stir in chopped coriander and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Steam the fish by resting the dish in a steamer or on a small rack over simmering water, cover and steam for 10 minutes, or until just cooked through (the fillets should look opaque and flake easily but remain moist). Using a spatula, transfer the fish to a serving dish. Pour any juices from steaming over the fish and add a squeeze of lemon over the fish. Garnish with coriander leaves and spring onions. Serve with turmeric rice.