Lamb shanks with barley, garden peas and mint
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups pearl barley
- 1 ½ cups garden peas
- 1 handful fresh mint
- 1 orange zested and juiced
- sea salt flakes and ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F (fan 160°C/315°F).
- Place a large casserole dish on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Pour in the oil and, when hot, add the shanks and brown all over, turning occasionally, for about 8 minutes. Push the shanks to the side of the dish slightly and reduce the heat.
- Add the onion and cook for about 8 minutes, or until golden. Pour in the stock, bring to a lively simmer, cover and place in the oven for about 1½ hours, or until the shanks are tender.
- Rinse the barley, drain and add it to the casserole dish, making sure it is covered in liquid. If not, add a little more stock. Cover and cook for about 25–30 minutes, or until the barley is al dente, adding the peas in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Roughly chop half of the mint and stir it in with the orange zest and juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Using forks, pull the meat from the bone and serve with the barley and pea mixture, garnished with the remaining mint leaves.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.