Honey and oregano roasted leg of lamb with vegetable roasties
- 1 kg Leg of lamb, trimmed of all visible fat
- 2 Large garlic cloves, sliced
- 8 sprigs Oregano, each halved
- 2 tbsp Pure floral honey
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 Quantity Vegetable roasties (see recipe)
- Steamed, boiled or microwaved green beans
- 3 GiLICIOUS potatoes
- 1 Medium orange-fleshed sweet potato (about 500g)
- 2 Medium parsnips (about 400g)
- 2 Medium carrots (about 250g)
- Medium butternut pumpkin (about 700g)
- 3 tsp Olive oil
- Pinch salt (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sprigs Rosemary, thyme or oregano, leaves removed from stems
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (400ºF/Gas 6). Place a rack in a roasting pan and add 1 cup water to the pan.
- Use a small sharp knife to cut slits all over the surface of the lamb. Poke the garlic slices and sprigs of oregano into the slits.
- Place the lamb on the rack in the roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes.
- Combine the honey, mustard and lemon juice. Brush over the lamb and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes for medium or 30 minutes for well-done. Remove lamb from oven, cover loosely with foil and set aside in a warm place for 15 minutes to rest.
- Carve the lamb and serve accompanied by the Vegetable roasties and beans.
Gi estimation: 51, GL estimation: 25 Some of these popular root vegetables have a high Gi but, apart from sweet potato, they are not rich sources of carbohydrates. Recipe by Anneka Manning from The Low GI Family Cookbook published by Hachette in Australia, www,glycemicindex.com/publications
Nutritional information (per serve)