Healthy Beef Stroganoff
- 1 cup SunRice Doongara Low GI White Rice
- 500 g Lean rump steak, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Brown onion, cut into thin wedges
- 200 g Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 3/4 cup Beef stock
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 pinch Ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 1/2 cup Light thickened cooking cream
- 1 bunch Parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch Steamed green beans
- To cook the white rice, in a saucepan, add 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stand, covered for 5 minutes. If you would like to use a brown rice in this recipe, simply add an additional ½ a cup of water.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Cook meat in 2 batches, tossing quickly until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add remaining oil to pan. Cook onions for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes longer or until soft. Add paprika and stir for 1 minute.
- Add stock, mustard, tomato paste, pepper and beef (with any juices). Simmer 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place cornflour in a small bowl. Gradually stir in light thickened cream. Add to pan and stir just until thickened.
- Serve stroganoff with rice, sprinkled with parsley and steamed green beans.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.