Healthier Sweet Potato and Spelt Carbonara
- 100 g spaghetti
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 30 g bacon or pancetta, diced
- 150 g sweet potato pureed
- 30 g bacon or pancetta, diced, extra
- 1 egg, beaten
- sea salt and ground black pepper to season
- Cook the spelt pasta according to the packet instructions, usually around 10 minutes, and reserve 2 tablespoons of the cooking water for your carbonara sauce.
- In the meantime, place the olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat, add the garlic and bacon/pancetta, and cook for about 5 minutes or until it’s crisp and golden, then set aside.
- Put the sweet potato, parmesan, egg and half the pancetta/bacon in a bowl. When the pasta is ready, remove it from the water with tongs and place it into the bowl along with a couple of tablespoons of the cooking water. Using the tongs or a couple of forks, toss the pasta with all the ingredients until it’s well coated and all ingredients are well combined. The hot pasta will lightly cook the egg.
- Top with remaining bacon/pancetta, extra parmesan and a generous amount of sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.