- 2 cups (300g/10 ½ oz) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (55grams/2ounces) unprocessed oat bran
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 apple (such as Granny Smith, Royal Gala or Golden Delicious), unpeeled
- 150 g (5 1/4 ounces) fresh or thawed frozen mixed berries or blueberries
- 1/2 cup (125ml/fl ounces) pure floral honey
- 2 lightly whisked
- 1/4 cup (60ml/2fl ounces) buttermilk
- 100 ml (3 1/2 fl ounces) canola oil
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F/Gas 5). Line 2 x 12-hole patty pan trays with paper cases.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the oat bran. Make a well in the centre and set aside.
- Use a fork to mash the banana in a medium sized bowl. Core and coarsely grate the apple and add to the banana. Add the berries, honey, eggs, buttermilk and oil and stir well to combine. Add the fruit to the flour mixture and fold together with a large metal spoon until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the lined patty pans and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into one of the muffins comes out clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.