Filo Fruit Cups
- 1 packet of filo pastry
- 2 tbsp butter substitute (e.g. Nuttalex), melted
- 1 packet (250g) light cream cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon rind, finely grated
- 2 tbsp low GI honey
- Vanilla bean paste
- Fresh fruit to top (such as cherries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries)
- Extra lemon zest
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Prepare a mini-muffin baking tray with a very light brushing of the melted butter substitute.
- Work with one sheet of filo pastry at a time, keeping the remainder covered with a damp tea towel.
- Unroll the pastry, and using a pair of scissors, cut pastry into 5cm squares.
- Brush with butter substitute and stack 3 of them together at odd angles and gently press into the tin, folding down the rough edges slightly. Bake for 6-8 minutes, till golden brown. Wait for them to cool completely before removing.
- In a medium bowl mix together the light cream cheese, honey and lemon rind until smooth.
- To prevent soggy bases, fill your filo bases (about ¾ full) just before serving (no more than 30 minutes or so). Arrange fruit on top and micro plane some extra lemon zest over the top.
- If you'd like your filo cups to have a hint of chocolate, leave out the lemon and shave a light dusting of 70% dark chocolate over the top.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.