Eggs in nests
- 2 slices wholegrain bread (e.g. Bürgen® Whole Grain & Oats)
- olive oil spray
- 1 tsp olive oil margarine
- 40 g button mushrooms (1 ½ oz), about 4, stems trimmed, sliced
- 3 English spinach leaves washed, chopped
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp reduced fat cheddar cheese coarsely grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Cut the crusts off the bread. Spray both sides of each slice lightly with oil. Press the bread slices firmly into two 1/3 cup (80 mL/2 1/2 fl oz) capacity non-stick muffin pan holes. Set aside.
- Heat the margarine in a non-stick frying pan over medium–high heat until sizzling. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 4–5 minutes or until tender. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes or until wilted. Remove from the heat and season with pepper.
- Divide mushroom mixture between the bread cases. Crack an egg into a small dish and then slide it into one of the bread cases. Repeat with the remaining egg. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for 15 minutes (for a softly set yolk), 20 minutes (for a hard-cooked yolk), or until the egg is cooked to your liking. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.