Easy eggplant and chickpea curry
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 800 g chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 eggplant cut into cubes
- 2 cups reduced salt vegetable stock (500ml)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste, no added salt
- 1 brown onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 handful fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- In a heavy-based pot or casserole, heat the olive oil over a medium heat and saute the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until transparent. Add the curry powder, cumin, turmeric, and garam masala, and a splash of stock. Mix well, then cook for one minute.
- Add your eggplant, chickpeas, and tomato paste.Cover with the remaining stock, combine well, and increase the heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer covered for 20 minutes, then remove the lid and continue to simmer for another 15-20 minutes until the liquid is reduced.Taste, and season with black pepper if you’d like. Serve topped with coriander leaves.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.