Easy eggplant and chickpea curry
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tins (800g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 eggplant, cut into cubes
- 2 cups (500ml) low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste, no added salt
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- handful fresh coriander leaves
- black pepper, to taste (optional)
- In a heavy-based pot or casserole, heat the olive oil over a medium heat and saute the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until transparent. Add the curry powder, cumin, turmeric, and garam masala, and a splash of stock. Mix well, then cook for one minute.
- Add your eggplant, chickpeas, and tomato paste.Cover with the remaining stock, combine well, and increase the heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer covered for 20 minutes, then remove the lid and continue to simmer for another 15-20 minutes until the liquid is reduced.Taste, and season with black pepper if you’d like. Serve topped with coriander leaves.