Cumin pears, carrot, tofu and lentil strudel
- 200 g green pears stem removed and cored
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds dry roasted and cooled
- 150 g dutch carrots peeled and grated
- 150 g firm tofu diced into 1cm pieces
- ¾ cup canned brown lentils drained
- 1 tbsp orange zest finely grated
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- rice bran oil spray
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup low fat natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven 180°C or 160°C fan force.
- Cut the pear flesh into dices 1cm square pieces and put into bowl – grind the cumin seeds in the mortar and pestle; sprinkle over the pears and toss to coat well.
- Combine the carrots, tofu, lentils and orange zest – mix well.
- Lay one sheet of pastry on the bench – spray lightly with oil. Top with another sheet and repeat until the pastry is all used.
- Spoon the carrot mixture down one side of the assembled pastry layers – top with diced pears – sprinkle with ground black pepper; roll and pull in the ends to make a sealed package – lift onto a baking paper lined baking tray. Spray with a light coating of oil and bake until browned and crisp – around 45 minutes.
- Combine the yoghurt, mint and pepper – serve the sliced strudel hot with the yoghurt and green salad or steamed vegetables of your choice.
Gi estimation: 34 (Low), GL estimation: 12 Recipe and image supplied by Horticulture Australia Limited. For more recipes go to www.rediscoverthepear.com.au
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.