Braised Zucchini Cacciatore
- 6 zucchinis medium
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion small, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1 pinch dried chilli optional
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup white wine
- 800 g cherry tomatoes (2 x 400g cans)
- ⅓ cup pitted kalamata olives
- 400 g butter beans (1 can) drained, rinsed well
- 1 handful fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 handful fresh basil
- 1 cup natural yoghurt to serve
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthways, then cut each half in half again on an angle to give you shorter pieces. Season the cut zucchini with salt and pepper.
- Place a large saucepan over a medium/high heat and add the olive oil, zucchini, and a good pinch of salt. Cook the zucchini on their cut sides to colour, then remove and add the remaining oil, onion, garlic, chili, a good pinch of salt and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes to soften.
- Next add the tomato paste and cook for another 1 minute then add the white wine, cooking for 1 minute longer before adding the cherry tomatoes and 1 cup of water. Bring to a simmer then stir through the zucchini, cover and simmer for approx. 12 minutes. You want the zucchini soft but not falling apart.
- Adjust the seasoning, stir through the olives and butter beans, parsley and cook for 1 more minute.
- Serve the Cacciatore with natural yoghurt spooned over
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.